Thursday, February 24, 2011

Headcase

This merry-go-round of trying to eat right is turning me into a headcase. I motor along for a few days being healthy and happy then I'm slammed with the need for chocolate. I tell myself I'll be satisfied by a square of Ghirardelli dark chocolate, but I end up eating the entire bar, then I start searching for ice cream or convince myself that baking cookies qualifies me for "Best Mom of the Year Club."
Sadly I talk myself into most of these transgressions. I justify: I worked hard today at the gym, I deserve a treat, or I excuse: I have no self-control. I really hate it when I convince myself that I have no self-control. I know it's not true, but it's an easy lie to believe, it excuses my chocolate snitches.
The best I can do when I get like this is to remove myself from the situation: go on a walk, call my sister for emotional support, go play with my boys, say a prayer for help. Eventually I can convince myself I do have self-control. It's amazing how empowering it is when I actually exercise that self-control rather than bury it with chocolate urgings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a Mormon.