Thursday, July 19, 2012

Daydreaming through the half-marathon

I survived Not Yo Mama's half-marathon last weekend. So glad to be done, but it really was a great experience. I did 1:53 which I was pretty proud of as the beastly race is straight up Smithfield Canyon. I kept telling myself that I was the beast (term borrowed from 13yo) not the canyon but the pep talk wasn't 100% effective. I had to shoot a GU halfway through, further evidence that I am getting old and don't have the energy I used to!
I was able to lose myself in a daydream about my latest novel for a few miles so that helped immensely. When I was exhausted at mile 12 and Cassidy (heroine from Dead Running) wasn't showing me any other scenes from her sequel, I actually thought, "Come on Cassidy, give me something!" She said back, "Leave me alone, I'm kissing Jesse." I laughed out loud as I ran, then realized I'm a bit of an oddball to be conversing with fictional characters as I run!

What do you do to keep your mind off the pain when you're pushing yourself?

4 comments:

  1. Hehe. I totally plot shop while I run. I hear you. Congrats on the half. Bytheway, I use 2 GUs per half

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Betsy. You completely understand me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your race time! I saw your name in the paper and did a silent standing ovation for you here in my kitchen. Go Cami!

    ReplyDelete

I'm a Mormon.