Friday, September 27, 2013

Sitting is the New Smoking - Runner's World article

I read "Sitting is the New Smoking - Even for Runners" on the treadmill a few days ago. It hit me hard. Yes, I exercise almost every day and try to be active the rest of the time. But the fact remains that I'm an author and if I want to get books written I have to park my growing fanny in the chair for hours a day. The article points out: "Unless you have a job that keeps you moving, most of your non-running time is likely spent sitting. And that would make you an 'active couch potato'—a term coined by Australian researcher Genevieve Healy, Ph.D., of the University of Queensland to describe exercisers who sit most of their day. If they aren't careful, she says, active couch potatoes face the same health risks as their completely inactive counterparts."
Scary, huh? 
Their solutions were to get up and move more, use an exercise ball, or a treadmill desk. 
How do you keep moving throughout the day? We always try to take the stairs, park farther away than we need to, and chase our boys around as often as possible. Now if I can just talk my husband into that treadmill desk :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a Mormon.